Hostas may be the perfect plant for shade gardens.
If you are looking for the perfect plant to grow in a "shade" garden, you have just found it! The hosta, or "plantain lily" as it is sometimes called, is perfect shade tolerant plant. There are over 2,500 different varieties of hostas, from as small as 2 inches in height to others of more than 36 inches.
Their colors can range from white, yellow, gold, green, blue and many different variegated species. They are perfect for those areas of your flower garden, or yard that don't get much sun. Plant them as borders, background plants or showcase them for spectacular beauty.
Hostas are hardy perennials in zones 2 - 10 and once established are easy to maintain. To learn more about growing, care and dividing your hostas, read more here...How to Grow Hostas - Beautiful Shade Tolerant Plants.
You May Also Enjoy:
- Hosta: A Shade Plant - Everyone is is always looking for a plant that will do well in the shade. Anyone who has been gardening for a while knows that plant is a hosta!
- Iris Flowers - Growing, Facts and History - Iris flowers come in almost every color of the spectrum and are one of the easiest flowers to grow and maintain. Find information on the history of the iris as well as how to plant, grow and maintain your iris.
- Best Perennial Flowers for Spring Gardens - After several years of trial and error, I have found several perennial flowers that are not only hardy, but also very easy to care for. These are what I consider to be the best perennial flowers for spring gardens.
- 7 Hardy Flowers for Summer Gardens - I love summer and all the color in summer flowers. Here are 7 of the hardiest summer flowers I have grown in my flower gardens. These are easy to grow and heat and drought tolerant for easy care.
- Growing a Miniature Rose Bush Outdoors - Miniature roses are beautiful small roses that can be grown outside in pots or planted directly in the ground. They make great border plants or just add color to an otherwise dull are area of your flower garden.